Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My favorite mom

With Sunday being Mother's Day, I want to tell you about my mom. Growing up she was always pretty easy to get along with, as long as you let her sleep, didn't touch her Pepsi (she outgrew that,) brought her home a coffee, and didn't mind answering the same questions about where you were going over and over. I swear I would tell her I'm going to CVS, go to my room for something, come back, and again tell her I was going to CVS. But she always said, "Be good. Have fun. I love you," no matter where I was going. She is the best Christmas stocking and Easter basket stuffer, ever. Seriously, it still boggles my mind how she gets it all in there.

But it took me having kids to see how truly awesome she really is. She has 5 grandsons, as of this moment, and she treats them like they are the only kids on Earth. I bet if they all talked, and you asked each one who Nana's favorite is, they would all answer "ME!" She spoils them all equally, but it's the way she has treated Baduka's diagnosis that makes me love her even more.

Most blogs by parents of autistic children always complain that the grandparents and other people just don't support them, which just makes a crappy situation even worse. Not my mom. Since the day I told her I thought he had autism, she has ordered books, toys, posters, puzzles and games for him. Amazon must love her. She filled her sandbox with dried rice, instead of sand, because he likes it better. She let's him rearrange her house, because he doesn't like change. She is always crying at his achievements, always his cheerleader.

Last week, I told her I wanted to make him a PECS book, and she googled and amazoned, and the next day, texted that she had ordered him a set of communication picture cards. When I thanked her through my tears, she said, "Don't make me cry, I just want what's best for my grandsons, I just try to make it easier for you and (Daddy), I love those little boys and will do everything I can." They came in today, and she said they also make a set of sign language cards that she was thinking of ordering. I told her she didn't need to do that. Her response? "I want to, I've been wanting to learn it too. There's a guy at work who's deaf and I try to understand him."

Not only is she trying to make life easier for us, she is also thinking of people she works with. Which shouldn't surprise me, she has invited a few coworkers home for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past few years, because they don't have anywhere to go. It amazes me how amazing she is.

Lots of people don't want to end up like their mothers, I hope everyday that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment