Friday, May 17, 2013

Huh, what?

Autism is confusing. Having a regular kid is hard enough, but one with the added bonus of autism, makes you really wonder what you're doing ALL THE TIME.

There's books, and websites, and therapies, and diets, and phone calls you have to make, like yesterday. When Baduka was in Early Intervention, it didn't seem that hard, because I asked his case worker all the questions, and he magically had the answers. It was a great system. Then Baduka just had to turn 3, and I'm on my own. I hate the phone. No one answers emails. I would text someone, but apparently that's not acceptable. Autism diagnoses should come with a fairy godmother. The doctor writes a prescription, you click your heels 3 times, and the fairy godmother appears, to make all the coffee and drinks you need to get through some days, and make the phone calls, and answer the questions you have.

And my questions are just ridiculous ones, because I don't even know what kind of questions I'm supposed to be asking. So mine are:

"How do I make him stop pushing Dizzy?" The answer isn't, put him in his room, with an open window, like I did yesterday. Because he will climb through his screen and land in his sandbox.

"How do I make him stop chewing food, then dropping it out of his mouth, onto the floor?" Because, yes the dog enjoys it, but it's gross and super annoying.

"How do I actually use a communication book with him?" Because I've cut, laminated, and velcroed, but really? Now what?

Or these:

"Why does he smash poop into the floor?"
"Why does he hate storage options, such as, tables, shelves, closets, and cabinets?"
"Why does he need all the lights on?" We aren't married to Edison, as my Nana used to say.
"Why does he only like to hold candy til it melts?"
"Why does he have to slam all doors closed?"
"Why does he hide in the closet to eat things?" I get that it's not completely normal to steal cheese out of the fridge, and eat half a pound of it, but hiding in the closet, just looks even more suspicious.

For the most part, Baduka is just like Dizzy and the New Kid, this has just been a long week of phone calls, and "why are you doing thats?!"

I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment