Thursday, July 31, 2014

Bad days.

Some days Baduka gets out of school emotional. I never really know what it's from either. Maybe something happened, maybe he doesn't feel good. He doesn't have the ability yet to tell me, and it's one of the harder things to accept with his autism.

Today was one of those days.

His teacher didn't mention a bad day, or anything happening, so there isn't any clue as to why he cried the whole way home, while repeating, "are you sure you want to quit?" I got him to calm down a little by telling him to go in and pick a freezepop color. It helped, but he was still a little upset.

I asked if he wanted to watch The Blue Umbrella from the Monsters University extras again. He smiled his first smile since we got home. Dizzy and the New Kid are pretty much over The Blue Umbrella, so I didn't have high hopes for this going well. He played it a few times, then prompted me to select the setup screen. All three are now happily on the couch, with their blankies and milk, watching Monsters University, with the subtitles and director's commentary on. No one is fighting. Dizzy even sat closer to Baduka, the way they like to sometimes.

Days like this I am so thankful I had two more maniacs. Sure, they fight constantly. And they think bodyslams are better than hugs. Goodness knows they hate sharing, anything, ever. But for Baduka to have two brothers by his side is something I know he will appreciate someday. They know him, they "get" him, they love him. And for that I will never be able to thank them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment