Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Let's Play!

For his 4th birthday, when people asked what Baduka wanted or what they should get him, my answer was, "I don't know," "markers," "5t pajamas." He likes books and letters and writing. It's been hard to figure out what toys he wants, because we own/have owned almost everything age appropriate, and he's over it.

Then we tried Legos, and realized he loves the guys more than the putting together. And I really think the putting together part will happen when he's a bit older, and then he will LOVE Lego.

I was telling this to his therapy coordinator, asking how we figure out what a kid who doesn't show an interest in most things, would want to play with. She suggested Playmobil since it's a lot like Lego, but not as put togethery.

Me and Baduka went on a date last night to the toy store. I let him wander, big deal for me, because that NEVER happens, to see what he was drawn to. Mostly the things we already have, a 50 dollar motorized kitten, and the TVs at the end of every aisle, showing commercials for the toys surrounding them. So I took it upon myself to pick a Playmobil dollhouse and playground.

When we got home and set it up he spent over an hour playing. Making the guys talk to each other. Do you know how happy I was to hear, "Hi Friends!"? A kid like Baduka isn't really great at pretend play. Seeing him set up the kitchen and having the parents clink glasses, makes me tear up a little. Putting a boy figure on the swing and saying, "1,2,3, Underdog!" Amazing.

This boy of mine surprises me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment