Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism Awareness

Today is Autism Awareness Day, at the beginning of Autism Awareness Month. Sometimes I don't totally understand the point of awareness anything months. I'm aware of autism everyday.

I'm aware of autism, when I have to unhook the hook and eye lock on the bedroom door, that I hook every night, so Baduka doesn't escape while we're sleeping.

I'm aware of autism every morning I need to sing All the Snowflakes Are Candy Bars and Milkshakes, just to get him to change his shirt.

I'm aware of autism, when I drop him off at his school, and hope he has a good day. And then when I pick him up, his teacher tells me he had a good day, because there wasn't as much flopping as usual. But there was a few full speed runs into the gym wall.

I'm aware of autism, when we drive home, and I can't take that way, because it causes him to instantly cry, and I don't know why. So I have to take the long way, because I don't like to make him cry for no reason.

I'm aware of autism, when we pull into the driveway, and he whimpers and smacks the New Kid in the face. I don't know why he hits him, it's not very hard, but it scares the New Kid every time.

I'm aware of autism, every time we walk into the house and Baduka, runs straight down the hallway crying, then throws himself to the ground. Then gets up and climbs something. Immediately.

I'm aware of autism, when I'm trying to find him something to do and just nothing seems to occupy him. He's already taught himself to read and write, so books are his only interest. Whether regular or electronic. So he spends a lot of time with the Nook.

I'm aware of autism, when I make him a peanut butter sandwich and he only eats the peanut butter, with his finger.

I'm aware of autism, when I leave the room for a few minutes and come back to him naked and poop everywhere.

I'm aware of autism, when without asking he hugs and kisses his brothers. Holds their hands, sits next to them on the couch. Those moments don't happen too often, so when they do you better believe there's tears.

I'm aware of autism every time I look at my sweet, smart, handsome, little boy and wonder with all this awareness, what's next for him?

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post. I love how much you love each other in your crazy family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) we have our moments, but these boys are my whole world. even at their craziest <3

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. I love how much you love each other in your crazy family.

    ReplyDelete